shouting in doorways

Sunday, April 13, 2003

Glasses make everything curvy.

Been listening to some (apparently) very cool stuff: Boom Bip, Hrvatski, Raja Mushtaq, Susumu Yokota - and I finally got hold of Gas' Oktember EP. Hurrah! Now I can drone myself to sleep.

What I don't understand is Autechre, one of the most influential and respected modern electronic groups, but their music just does nothing for me. And another thing. 'World' Music. L is more ranty about this than I am but I agree with her - it's the most dismissive category of music there is. Say you listen to Khaled and then The Tsinandali Choir, completely different in style, roots and influence, but still lumped together under 'World' Music. Rubbish.It's as if 90% of the world's (note lower-case w) music gets put into some sort of waiting room until it's sufficiently westernised to be 'elevated' from its World Music melting-pot into something that's acceptable to poeple who think the west should have a monopoly on music. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home